EyeGate® II Delivery System Advantages
This unique and proprietary system has potentially very broad application. The system consists of two parts: a reusable battery powered generator and a disposable applicator which contains the drug. EyeGate's iontophoresis technology is coulomb-controlled, which means that it regulates each unit of drug used for treatment. The annular design and electrode composition allows for safe and effective transcleral (transmitted across the sclera, or white protective outer membrane of the eye) delivery of a wide range of therapeutics.
The key advantages of the EyeGate® II Delivery System are expected to include:
- A broad applicability of the system to delivery a wide range of drugs and treat a wide range of ophthalmic disease.
- A programmable control of delivery of medication to enable rapid onset of action and a variable dose control to be responsive to different patient needs.
- Non-invasive, needle-free administration contributing to board acceptability, increased convenience and compliance.
- Increased patient safety by eliminating the risk of infections, ulcerations or other local side effects.
- Lower cost of care by reduced hospitalizations, improved outcomes and less use of expensive medication.
- The treatment is virtually painless, requiring only topical anesthesia administration by eye drops.
- While times will vary by medication, the average delivery time may be just 3-5 minutes for most drugs.